The issue of consent has become an everyday concern for health professionals. In today’s climate with the emphasis on the client’s right of autonomy, self-determination and working in partnership with health professionals, a good grasp of the issues of consent is a pre requisite.
This course covers :
- The basic principles of consent
- Forms of consent
- Withdrawal of consent
- Refusal of consent and inherent conflicts, such as, a refusal of life saving treatment and the health professionals’ ethos of pro life
- How much information should be given
- Capacity and the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Advance directives
- Children and young persons and parental responsibility
- Documenting consent issues
The course looks at how to apply the principles of consent to everyday practice with use of examples and cases.