This course will equip health professionals with the necessary skills and competencies to give effective oral evidence in Court, at an Inquest, Tribunal or a Public Inquiry. Giving evidence can be a stressful and challenging process for any witness. This course will demystify the process of giving evidence, examining lawyers’ techniques and how best to handle these. The training includes role play cross-examinations, which enable participants to experience the process in a safe and supportive environment.
- Understanding how the court process works
- The procedures, order of events and roles of those involved
- The personal preparation required
- Recognising the pitfalls in giving evidence and how to deal with them
- How to make appropriate use of records, statements, reports and other material
- How to deal with questions encroaching on patient confidentiality
- Experiencing questioning/cross-examination by a lawyer in a supportive environment
- Receiving constructive feedback and its application.